It Happened Today in New York City
On October 30, 1766, Saint Paul’s Chapel opened at Broadway and Fulton Street. Holding its first services two years after its cornerstone was laid, Saint Paul’s was a country church for farmers and laborers, while its parent venue Trinity Church served the well-to-do within the city limits. Saint Paul’s would eventually become Manhattan’s oldest building to still be used for its original purpose, gaining the beloved nickname “the little chapel that stood”. President George Washington and Governor George Clinton both worshipped there and their pews have been maintained for posterity. Later, the chapel became Grand Central for first responders in the wake of 9/11 and remains a pilgrimage destination for that event, featuring many memorials to those who helped in that trying time.
- Posted in: Almanac