It Happened Today in New York City
On June 29, 1940, after six years of construction, the Belt Parkway was dedicated. The brain child of Parks Commissioner Robert Moses, who was also head of the Public Works Project, the Belt Parkway consisted of the Shore, Southern, and Laurelton Parkways. Though the belt was dedicated in 1940, it would be another 20 years before the 1960 completion of the Brooklyn Queens Expressway, which effectively closed the circle of roads and “buckled” the belt. By that time, Moses’ reputation as the most powerful appointed official in the city had been fully cemented (pardon the pun).
- Posted in: Almanac